New Kid on the Block

Being the new kid in school can be tough and can offer a very wide set of challenges. These challenges can create a terrifying outlook on what your new school might be like.

For example, finding a friend to sit with at lunch can be a frightening challenge. When overcoming this obstacle find some bravery and talk to other students in the same classes. By talking to other students in similar classes a transfer student will have the opportunity to make friends and learn the social aspects of the school. In addition, by gaining the courage to talk to fellow classmates a student can learn more about going outside of their comfort zone and socializing with strangers.

Another common challenge among many new students is wandering around the school looking for the right classroom. An easy way to overcome this feat is to find out if the school offers an orientation. If so, attend and get the advantage of knowing the school hallways before the first day arrives but given the chance that a school does not offer an orientation don’t be afraid to ask a teacher or staff member for directions. Also when finding your classes find physical traits of the school to link to the location of your class. For example, you could remember that your Spanish class is “by the vending machine on the second floor.” 

In addition making connections to a new school before the year starts can give some insight on the people at the school and how the school works. An example of this might be emailing the coach about the upcoming season or setting up a meeting with the school counselor to get some information and advice about the upcoming school year. By making connections to a new school a transfer student is given the opportunity to recognize some faces in the halls.

Overall, transferring schools can be a challenge but by focusing on the positives it can help individuals grow as a person and expand their horizons.