Beta is Better at Nationals

Beta is Better at Nationals

The Georgia Senior Beta Convention is held each January in Savannah, GA, where Beta members from across the state enjoy three days of competitions and events. The 2018 convention was the 4th year that Cass Beta attended state convention and the first year that they attended Nationals.  

According to betaclub.org, the National Beta Club is the largest independent, non-profit, educational youth organization in America. The club has awarded more than $6 million in scholarships since 1991. Cass’s chapter is one of 8,750 and contributes 200 members to the 500,000 throughout the nation.  

Sophomore, Kevin Polo, competed in Division I Spanish, a multiple choice test designed to offer students the opportunity to test his/her academic skills and to reinforce educational standards. Sophomores Jaden Musacchio, Chloe Carpenter, and Jessica Bhika competed in Fresh Look at Beta, a competition designed for a team of 9th Grade students to demonstrate knowledge of the Beta organization and its principles of Service, Character, Leadership, and Achievement. Former President Emily Long, Vice-President Precious Coyle, Secretary Yana Getz, and Current Vice-President Savannah Kimbrell also attended National Convention. They competed in Meeting of the Minds, where they were given a problem that requires brain calisthenics to develop a reasonable plan and conclusion. Emily Long mentions that “I have been to Convention every year, and every year is more exciting. I’m on the scrapbook committee, and we place in the top 5 every year!”  

National Officers were voted in by students, President Drake Toll, Vice-President Erik Hunter, and Secretary Jesus Enriquez. These students will represent the entire Beta Club organization at meetings with other influential people. The 2017-18 President was Jeremiah Desesto, a representative of Georgia.   

Mrs. Hogsed commented on the club’s performance, “We have brilliant students at Cass, and we would like to send as many of our members as possible to demonstrate their talents this year in Savannah!” Cass Beta has already been recognized for bringing more students to Senior convention in the previous years, being awarded the GOLD Key award. The convention is open to any member of Beta, and there are over 25 individual competitions for all grade levels, and only a minimal fee to sign up. If you aren’t already a member of Beta and would like to join, discuss it with Ms. Hogsed in room 1.070 before induction in the fall.