Prom Date$

Prom Date$

With prom coming up on April 14, many Cass students are noticing the toll the event is taking on their wallets. Between dresses, tuxedo rentals, tickets, dinners, and flowers, a lot of money can go into just one night.

According to a 2017 study by Yahoo Style, students “are spending an average of $600 on prom.” These expenses come from mostly from prom dresses and tuxedos, on which the South tends to spend more money than any other region. Many students spend hundreds of dollars on outfits alone, then more on alterations, shoes, and accessories. While these costs can easily be minimized by shopping smart or choosing more modestly-priced apparel, the trend of students wearing high-end dresses and tuxes makes other students wary of choosing cheaper options.

Dr. Renee Englen, a professor of psychology at Northwestern University, explores the role society and social media play in teenagers’ self-image, especially relating to prom.

“They can’t help but prepare themselves for the seemingly perfect lives of their peers,” says Englen. “If what you see on Instagram suggests that all of your peers are heading toward perfect-looking, highly expensive prom experiences, it’s natural that you’ll feel pressure to meet that same standard.”

The theory that social media increases prom spending also applies to photos. Many prom groups will make appointments or even pay admission to extravagant venues to get the perfect pictures for their Instagram feeds. Hiring photographers or purchasing nice cameras for high-quality pictures adds on to the already expensive night.

Though there are some costs that simply cannot be cut, such as tickets to the event itself, there are ways to save money on prom night. Thrifted, second-hand, or rented dresses can easily cut costs by hundreds of dollars, as does borrowing or buying cheap jewelry instead of high-end, real jewels. In most cases, it’s impossible to tell if a pair of earrings is from Target or Shane Co.

Another easy way to save money is by driving yourself to the event or carpooling with friends. Because Cass’s specific prom venue is local, it is generally safe and easy for students to drive themselves. Renting a limo or a party bus can be fun, but it does add an extra expense that can be cut without much trouble.

Whatever the cost, prom is not entirely about status and social media posts. In the end, students can have as much fun spending $100 as they would if they were spending $1,000.