Welcome to the Cass Family

This year Cass has welcomed fifteen new teachers. Coming from all sorts of places and backgrounds, these new staff members have been welcomed into our Cass family with open arms. However, just in case you haven’t met them yet, here are a few of the new teachers!

Dallas Gollner is the one of the new math teachers. She teaches Geometry and Algebra 2. She graduated from Reinhardt University in 2015. She worked at Creekview High School for three years. When asked if Cass is similar to what she expected, she said, “Yes, I grew up in Fairmount and went to Sonoraville, and Cass has a very similar atmosphere.” If she could get a tattoo that would only last a week, she would get “a doodle that looks like something out of one of the grown up coloring books” because she loves “how random but intricate they are.”

Ashley Green is the new Environmental Science teacher. She graduated from University of Georgia in 2009 with a Bachelor of Science in both Genetics and Microbiology, from the University of Miami in 2011 with a Master of Science in Cancer Biology, and from Kennesaw State University in 2016 with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. Prior to becoming a teacher at Cass, she worked at Emory University’s Winship Cancer Institute coordinating Breast Cancer clinical trials for pharmaceutical companies. In addition to working at Cass, she also currently works at Kennesaw State University, where she teaches a course (SCI 1101) in the evenings. On the weekends, she is at Atlanta History Center either working at the admissions desk, managing the museum shop, or giving tours of the Civil War Battle of Atlanta Cyclorama. She has two children, Abby and Chloe, but don’t be fooled! These kids are not humans but rather Cockapoos. She is a huge college football fan and cheers for her alma maters of the University of Georgia and University of Miami. Besides science, she is also passionate about Medieval European History. When asked if Cass is what she expected it would be like, she stated, “Cass is what I expected. I have been welcomed and been made to feel like I am part of a family.” Her favorite Starbucks drink is a venti White Chocolate Mocha, and when it is in season, a Peppermint Mocha.

Samuel Iddings is the new assistant band director. He helps Mrs. Pruitt teach concert band, marching band, and percussion ensemble. He graduated this past May from Jacksonville State University in Alabama. When asked if Cass is similar to what he expected, he said, “Cass High IS what I expected! I knew coming in this was going to be a great and friendly environment for both students and teachers to learn and succeed, and that’s exactly what it is!” His celebrity crush is Katherine McPhee.

Ms. Liguori prepares for her next class.

Breonna Liguori is another new math teacher at Cass. She teaches Geometry and Algebra 2. She graduated from Reinhardt University in 2019. When asked if Cass is similar to how she thought it would be, she said, “I didn’t really know what to expect. One thing that stands out is how nice everyone is. It feels like a family.” One thing on her bucket list is to travel across Europe.

JoLynn Miller is the new Healthcare teacher at Cass; she teaches Introduction to Healthcare Science, Essentials of Healthcare, Allied Health and Medicine, and Exercise Physiology. She has a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training from West Chester University (2003), as well as a Master of Education in Health Education from University of Georgia (2005) and an Education Specialist in Educational Leadership from Georgia College and State University (2017). She arrives from Winder, Georgia, where she taught healthcare classes and worked as the athletic trainer for Apalachee High School. She was there for fifteen years before coming to Cass. When asked if our school is like what she expected, she answered, “Yes, when I told people that I was interviewing at Cass and then had later accepted the job, they told me I was going to love it. [It is] very family-oriented. I have had a great start to my year!” If she could have any exotic pet, her animal of choice would be a koala.

Ms. Page is super enthusiastic for her first year at Cass.

Casey Page is the new art teacher; she teaches Visual Composition 1, 2, 3, and 4. She went to Marist College in New York. Although she had many internships for Graphic Design and worked with some photographers, this is her first job coming out of college. When asked if Cass is like what she expected she replied with one simple word: “Better.” When she was a child, she wanted to be a broadcast-journalist on ESPN or any other kind of news channel.

Lori Sutton is the new American Sign Language teacher. She graduated from Converse College in 1993 with her Bachelor of Arts and Lesley University in 2008 with her Master of Education. She previously worked as a teacher for the deaf and as an ASL teacher in Evans, Georgia, from 1993 to 1996; Gainesville, Florida, from 1996 to 2005; and Bartow County from 2005 to 2016. She said Cass is similar to what she expected; she said, “I’ve always loved Cass. I have been in and out of the school for many years as an itinerant teacher for deaf students, so I’m really happy now to be ‘planted’ here. Plus, I enjoy opportunities to embarrass my kids here (Jade Nix, a junior, and Zach Sutton, a senior).” When asked what the weirdest food she has ever eaten was, she said it would probably be livermush (although it isn’t weird to her because she’s grown up eating it). She claims it’s “an awesome breakfast meat that everyone should try!”

Look how excited Mr. Willingham is to be part of the Cass family!

Carl Willingham is a new part of the math department. He teaches Advanced Mathematical Decision Making (better known as AMDM) and AP Statistics. He served active duty in the Army from 2000 to 2007 before graduating from Kennesaw University in 2010. He came from Woodland High School, where he taught from 2010 to 2019. He received his Master’s Degree this summer. When asked if Cass is similar to what he expected, he stated, “Yes, everyone is welcoming, and the atmosphere and interaction with everyone have been positive and encouraging.” If he could travel to any country, he would love to visit Italy; during his time in the Army, he was able to visit many countries, but he never got the opportunity to go to Italy. He would love to fly out and “check Italy off [his] list.”

Jessica Wise is another new math teacher and teaches Algebra 1. She received a Bachelor of Arts in English in 2005, a Master of Arts in English in 2009, a Master of Arts in Teaching in Mathematics Teaching in 2017. She has taught in several schools around the world, including universities such as the University of West Georgia in Carrollton and even in Tunghai University in Taiwan. Although she has had experience with post-secondary students, most of her teaching career has been with high schoolers. Yet, this has allowed her to work with students with a lot of potential and an array of different dreams. Her previous students have “gone on to work for Google, to own their own bakeries, to manage their own agricultural business, to serve as the head of multiple luxury car dealerships, to be award-winning actors, and even to become officers in the military” (if you’re looking for some interesting stories, this seems to be the teacher you should go to). According to Wise, “[Cass] is better than I expected. I anticipated that the students would be a pleasure to work with, but I had no idea how supportive my colleagues and administration would be. What a great place to teach!” When asked what superpower she would want to have, she said she would love to read minds in order to know if students are stuck on a math problem. Although she has been trying to develop her psychic abilities, she hasn’t had much luck so far.

Melissa Womack is a new business teacher; she teaches Introduction to Business and Technology, Business Communications, and Introduction to Digital Technology. She received a Bachelor of Science in Education in 2001 and a Master of Science in Education in 2008, both from University of Georgia; she later received her Specialist in Education from the University of West Georgia in 2015. When asked if Cass is anything like what she expected, she said, “Yes, I have several friends here, and it is exactly as they have said!” Her favorite book/movie series is the Harry Potter series.

As we have seen, many new teachers love Cass and especially pride the school on their ability to welcome everyone into the family. We are certain that we will love these new teachers just as much as they love us.