The Student News Site of Cass High School

The Trumpet

• April 24Congratulations to Vy Lam and Alex Pacheco for being Mr. and Ms. Cass High School!

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Should’ve Been a Legend

The Lasting Legacy of Toby Keith

Country is one of our biggest music genres on earth and many artists have developed their own style. Toby Keith was a prominent country music singer and producer. He won over 18 awards and had over 77 nominations throughout his life. He is also known for hits such as “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” and “As Good as I Once Was”. He was the founder of the Toby Keith Foundation and helped many charities like Feeding America and Make a Wish.

All his life he was in love with music. From the age of eight, he would play the guitar and make his own music. In high school, he played football for his team on defense. After high school, he began trying to find any type of work, and after much searching, he eventually found work in an oil field. After working for the company for a few years, oil became less profitable, and they had to let him go. After another football run, he finally decided to fully focus on his music career. He and his friends made a band called the Easy Money Band. He would continue busking until he was finally picked up by Mercury Records.

He would release his debut single “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” which would become a hit all across the globe. This single would then lead to an album release which sparked five more of his hits. From “As Good As I Once Was” to “Just The Guy To Do It” he had plenty of his songs reach a new level. From there Keith’s music would become some of the most inspirational music to date inspiring artists like Jelly Roll and Eric Church. Keith was also a kind and giving soul as he would form the Toby Keith Foundation after his past bandmate’s daughter had passed from cancer. This inspired him to start up his own way of supporting people with cancer. The foundation would build homes for families of cancer patients. In 2013, the foundation built the OK Kids Korral. This would provide housing for kids in the OU Medical Center.

He has affected many people’s lives and changed them for the better. His music inspires people and has for generations. Chreech Kristina, a student at Cass High School, explains “I find enjoyment in both the way he sings and his music. His music just speaks to me and helps me when I feel down.” Music is a strong form of art that can help people express emotion and relate to the artist. This was something Toby Keith loved doing, relating to his listeners and making a connection.

He was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 2021 and fought hard for as long as he could. People from all over the world came out and showed support for the country singer. On February 5th, he passed away in his sleep. Everyone was crushed to hear this news as many grew up listening to him. While people may not have heard him while he was alive, now is a great time to appreciate his music and all that he has done for aspiring artists.