The Student News Site of Cass High School

The Trumpet

• April 24Congratulations to Vy Lam and Alex Pacheco for being Mr. and Ms. Cass High School!

The Trumpet

The Trumpet

Unveiling the Hidden Gems of Cartersville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3YJAO8gDQ

Cartersville, Georgia, is a charming city on the cusp of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is home to numerous Cass Colonels. Incorporated as a town in February 1850, Cartersville has continued to grow and thrive throughout the generations. While many of the city’s visitors flock to its more well-known attractions, the city also contains numerous hidden gems. From the city’s unique historical sites to mom-and-pop shops to scenic natural wonders, Cartersville has something for everyone with diverse interests. 

Exploring Downtown 

Downtown Cartersville includes numerous shops and multiple significant pieces of history. These historical spots include the Young Brothers Pharmacy, 4-Way, and the Grand Theater. The Young Brothers Pharmacy had the first outdoor wall advertisement for Coca-Cola painted in 1894. 4-Way shows insights into how far America has come since the Jim Crow era. Additionally, multiple events take place within the downtown realm. There is the Annual Christmas parade and the farmers market, and there are also more underground events, such as plays held at the Grande Theater and dance recitals in the square. According to teacher Caitlynn Beresford, “I really liked the downtown area. There’s a lot of different things like small shops and good restaurants and stuff like that.” The downtown is a significant notable contribution to the city of Cartersville; from the boutiques to restaurants to historical sights, Downtown Cartersville has a bit of anything and everything. 

Embrace the Outdoors: Parks of Cartersville 

Cartersville has multiple parks and outdoor wonders for the public to enjoy. Within the bounds of Cartersville, the city contains The Etowah River Park, Dellinger, the Red Top Mountain State Park, and many more. These parks offer a variety of outdoor activities for all interests and ages. Hike or bike along the trails, kayak the Etowah River, or cast a line and try your luck at fishing. These parks include good picnic areas and playgrounds, and they are dog-friendly, making them the perfect spot for a relaxing day.

The Farmers Market

Held every Saturday morning from April to around October, this lively market showcases the bounty of the harvest of local farms, offering fresh produce, bread, and homemade jams. Here, people meet friendly vendors while stocking up on unique and locally sourced goods. 

Discovering Arts and Science

Take on a journey of discovery to the Museums of Cartersville. The Tellus Science Museum is a haven for curious minds of all ages. Sophomore Madeline Bahamon says she enjoys the Tellus Museum because she associates it with some of her childhood memories. 

The Tellus Museum features exhibits on dinosaurs, geology, Native American cultures, and outer space. Tellus has life-size dinosaur models and marvel-worthy rock formations. Visitors can explore the “wonders of the universe” through engaging displays and hands-on activities. Additionally, Cartersville is home to the Booth Western Museum; the Booth Western has many beautiful works of art, such as The Joy to the Land painting by Claudia Hartly and the Eddie Basha collection. Something else that is interesting and exclusive to the museum is that each year, the museum has an annual contest for the children of local schools. Children submit their art, and some are selected to have their art presented in the museum. It depends on which school they attend. 

Cartersville culinary hidden gems. 

The city of Cartersville has an abundance of noteworthy restaurants inside its walls. Some of the more noteworthy restaurants are as follows:

These are just a few of the many hidden gems that Cartersville has to offer. With its welcoming locals, stunning scenery, and diverse attractions, Cartersville is a city sure to leave its mark of unforgettable memories.