Lights Out, Cass High!

Audrey Donoho, Alexa Halpern, Arliny Celeste, Staff Writers

On August 14, 2019, Cass High had a power outage during second period through Gold Time. Yet, with no power, the school also lost Internet and air conditioning—two things detrimental to a normal school day. Some of the students were lucky; their classrooms had windows and no Internet did not faze them. However, some students were in classrooms without windows, and when the power was lost, so was their vision; everything around them was pitch black.

Mrs. Boughton explained, “We had a teacher meeting during second with a lot of other teachers, and three administrators. The lights just went out and we were just about to watch a PowerPoint,” Predictably enough, as the power went out, almost all sources of learning for some classes had gone out too. Luckily, many of the teachers found ways to continue their classes. Madison Printup, a senior, said she was in Mr. Morris’ math class when the power went out. “I feel like we didn’t really slack off as much as I thought we would because I really thought we weren’t going to do anything else. [Mr. Morris] kept the class on track,” Printup states. “He had already printed off the worksheets from the day before and just worked about on the dry erase board.”

Even the students that weren’t at Cass at the time (whether due to the College and Career Academy or Dual Enrollment) heard about the power outage. Chandler Dupree, another senior, claims, “I wasn’t here for it. I did hear about it. I heard there was a bunch of people screaming for no reason.” Looks like there are students that are afraid of the dark! Yet, many students were still mature and did not let the power outage get to them. One example is Alexis Woods, a freshman. She states, “I didn’t really care. I was just sitting there. We were all chill.”

Cass High was not the only school that lost power. White Elementary also lost power, which some believe to be caused by a circuit malfunction at the Georgia power plant while others believe somebody crashed into the transformer. Whatever the cause was, it sure did make a lot of kids freak out (upperclassmen), and others to remain chill. Thankfully, the power was back on before Gold Time ended, and school could continue like usual.