NHS Students breathe life into Kingston’s living classroom

On Saturday, March tenth, the members of the National Honors Society and Beta club teamed up and assisted in cleaning Kingston Elementary’s living classroom. The living classroom is a large walking trail located on the back of the school. It was first built in the early ’90s when the school was rebuilt at its current location and has an outdoor classroom, a log cabin, an amphitheater, and a small pond with a bridge. Its unique to Kingston and the elementary school uses it frequently for lessons and events throughout the school year.

The students volunteered by raking the path, clearing up large sticks and debris, sweeping off the buildings, and settings steps that lead to the pond. Teachers and administrators from the elementary school were also in attendance to assist the students. Overall, the students spent six hours cleaning and fixing up the trail, lots of hard work that definitely paid off.

Many of the students who participated attended Kingston Elementary themselves, so helping with this project had a deeper meaning to them. Senior, and Kingston Alumni, Savannah Kimbrell said, “It was so great volunteering at my elementary school and being able to give back because the school was basically my whole childhood. I know everyone enjoyed cleaning up, now the students can enjoy the trails as much as we did.” Another Kingston Alum, Cassy Simmons said, “I really enjoyed freshening up a place that holds so many magical memories from my childhood. I loved bringing life back into a place that gave me so much”. Overall the students and all volunteers enjoyed the clean-up and the trail looked better than ever.