A New Year Means New Resolutions

Here’s Americas Top 5 New Year’s Resolutions

Hello readers! It’s that time of year again and as 2022 kicks off, America renews its New Year’s Resolutions and once again looks to the future to set goals for the year. While these goals could range from anything from getting to work on time to building your dream treehouse, a survey done by Statista shows that most resolutions are based on feeling like “a sensible, content adult.” While this may be true for adults, how relevant are these goals to the lives of Cass High students? Well, let’s find out! Without further ado here are America’s Top 5 New Year’s Resolutions:

1. Exercise More

You know who they are, these people want to exercise but can’t find the time. This year will be the same as the last and before January is up their yoga mat and gym shoes will be back in the garage. According to Statista “About half of Americans wanted to start 2021 by getting in shape. The most popular New Year’s resolution was “doing more exercise or improving my fitness”, which was pointed out by 50 percent of respondents.” However, my gym’s memberships don’t seem to be growing at an exponential rate. For many students and student-athletes like myself working out more is a common goal. Whether it’s to work towards a sports scholarship, or for mental health exercise is very relevant for high school students.

2. Lose Weight

To me this makes sense too, according to Statista’s survey, 48% of participants also wanted to lose weight. Getting slim is a constant struggle and can be hard to reach and maintain. For most high school students this usually isn’t a problem yet with relatively active metabolisms, but if you are looking for a start finding a calorie tracker and good workout routine is the easiest way to begin your journey.

3. Save Money

As we all know “America Runs on Dunkin”… and Dunkin runs on money. Everyone wants more of it and so it is no surprise that saving money is on our list. Whether it is for a down payment on your first house or an emergency savings account saving is always a good choice as far as goals. This is exceptionally true for high school students too. While focusing on school is very important, thinking about the future can be critical, especially for students from low-income backgrounds. For many students saving up for a car or college is crucial to their success immediately after high school. For students whose families cannot support them after they graduate it becomes a necessity.

4. Eat Healthier

Keeping with the theme of health, eating healthier in a world of fast food can be daunting, but for many Americans who are becoming more and more aware of what they are eating each year, it is a challenge that is worth pursuing. Eating changes can look different for everyone, and for Cass High Junior Nicole Davis, this year’s change is to sustain from dairy products. And to her, I say good luck, because if you can give up ice cream, you can give up anything.

5. Further a Career

For fulfillment or the extra cash, furthering a career is the lamest resolution on the list. However, that doesn’t mean it isn’t popular or admirable. It’s a New Year, so why shouldn’t you turn your eyes to the future of your profession? For students, furthering their academic careers is a must. Free education is a resource that gives more return the harder you push yourself. This could be college applications or building towards a promotion at work.

How long will these new resolutions last? Well, let’s just say some of mine are already broken.