Astroworld Festival Ends in Tragedy

Jovany Contreras, Staff Writer

On November 6, 2021, Travis Scott held his third Astroworld Festival in Houston, Texas. The festival was completely sold out with about a total of 50,000 people. At the beginning of the festival, everything was going great but that was short-lived when chaos broke out. According to What really happened at Astroworld? Everything we know about the festival and its aftermath, states, “At ‘9:30, right there, that’s when a few people started going down,’ said Houston Police Chief Troy Finner.” Paramedics tried to get out into the crowned to help those people that were down, but the crowd was too chaotic. The crowd tried to rush the front and some people got trampled

Initially, on November 6, 2021, officials reported that eight people were killed. Those people included John Hilgert, age 14; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Rodolfo Angel Peña, 23; Axel Acosta, 21; Franco Patino, 21; Jacob Jurinek, 20; Madison Dubiski. 23; and Danish Baig, 27. Twenty-five people were injured and were taken to local hospitals. Later on, on November 10, 2021, 22-year-old Bharti Shahani passed away after being on a ventilator for a few days, bringing the grand total to 9 people. Bharti attorney James Lassiter had a few words to say about Bharti. According to A Texas A&M student injured at Astroworld has died, bringing the death toll to 9, “Bharti was a shining star in the community,” Lassiter said. “She was a sister, a daughter, a high-achieving college student about to graduate from Texas A&M University with high, high grades.”

Travis Scott came out to the public and said on Twitter, “I am absolutely devastated by what took place last night,” he tweeted Saturday. “My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival. Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life. I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support families in need. Thank you, Houston PD, Fire Department, and NRG Park, for their immediate response and support.”

Many people blamed Travis Scott for not stopping the show earlier than he did. This is because Travis Scott didn’t have the authority to stop the show. Only two people had the authority to stop the show, the executive producer, and the concert producer. Travis Scott didn’t even know about the tragedy that happened until hours after it occurred.

Now Travis Scott is facing multiple lawsuits. Tony Buzbee’s firm was filing a lawsuit on behalf of 35 plaintiffs. He said, “the lawsuit was against Scott and the event’s promoters and management, including entertainment company Live Nation, for failing to implement proper security and emergency response measures.”