The SAT: Valid or Vestigial?

The SAT: Valid or Vestigial?

Even amidst a pandemic, standardized tests are still being issued and taken by students everywhere, but is it worth it? Over the summer of 2020, more than 400 colleges decided to no longer require standardized SAT or ACT scores and instead offer a test-optional policy. Nonetheless, high school students continue to register to take these tests despite not needing them for college applications. The question remains whether or not students should take these tests and what the benefits are to take them when so many colleges are not requiring them.

First thing first, not taking the SAT or ACT will not hurt you if it is not required. However, the SAT or ACT is not only used for college applications; some high schools require a score to graduate as well as scholarships, like merit scholarships, require a score to qualify. Zael Hurtado stated that he took the SAT because “that’s how you get scholarships and free money.” However, some people do not have such a positive view on the tests; Ray Serbentas, for example, knows that scores “look great to colleges, but the studying can be very stressful.” Those who do not plan on attending college or any other post-secondary school should not feel pressured to take the test. Unless it is needed to graduate or a student simply wants to take the test(s), it will not be needed after high school. All of that aside, if you decide to not take the test, but still plan on applying for college, all other aspects of the application become more important. Colleges use the application not only to investigate your academic history but also to determine who someone is as a person in their school and community. So, if you decide to not take the SAT or ACT, be sure to put as much detail as possible into your application so that colleges can obtain a full understanding of who you are; this can be done through essays, listing any awards or achievements you have earned, letter(s) of recommendation, and giving any extracurriculars you have participated in as well.

On the other hand, taking the test(s) cannot hurt you either; taking one or more tests can be more beneficial than anything. Even if there are no requirements to take a test, taking one or more can provide wonderful insight into taking standardized tests, academic strengths and weaknesses, or even progression of skills over time. Any of those are very beneficial to an academic career. Andrew Ziemer stated, “I have not taken it, but I plan to because it helps to prove myself to colleges, and I am able to compare myself to others around the country.”

The best part is that if you get a great score, it makes you look even better to colleges, but on the off chance that you get a bad score, most colleges have the test-optional policy. Therefore, you would never have to submit your scores at all. So, get out there and get testing (if that is what you want). Good luck!