The Trumpet

• October 15Congratulations to Rett Moore and Cassy Simmons, 2018 Homecoming King and Queen

• September 17Congratulations, Ms. Stefanie Rolen, Cass High's Teacher of the Year!

The Detainment of “21Savage”

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Detainment of “21Savage”

Earlier this week, a story about one of the United States’ most renown rap artists went viral across social media platforms. Twitter dedicated an entire Twitter Moment to the recent news of 21Savage, legally named She’yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, and his detainment with thousands of Tweets pouring in within a half hour.

It was February 6, 2019, the night of the SuperBowl, when the story began making its way around. Abraham-Joseph was detained in Atlanta, Georgia that morning due to allegations by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of being a naturally born UK citizen who overstayed his visa. These claims were unconfirmed initially, and it was not until nearly a day later that fans of the rapper and followers of the story discovered that these claims were correct.

According to the rapper’s legal team, he has been “continuously physically present in the United States for almost 20 years.” It is also claimed that he has a visa application pending currently. Some argue that Abraham-Joseph is not being treated justly be ICE, as he has been placed in one of the detention centers rumored to have a “brutal history” according to the RollingStone.

In addition to this, Abraham-Joseph’s manager has stated that he has learned from speaking on the phone with “21Savage” that he is being held on a 23-hour “lockdown” where he is nearly isolated. It has not been confirmed nor denied by the Irwin County Detention Center where he is being held.

Many on social media have expressed their belief that his detainment, contrary to ICE’s claims of detainment due to five-year-old drug charges, is being used to intimidate Abraham-Joseph more than anything. Others believe the threats of deportation may be an attempt at making a political point.

Of course, there are varying opinions of belief online about the events. While some stand on Abraham-Joseph’s side, others stand on the side of ICE and support the artists’ detainment and potential deportation. With him having committed a crime in the past, this side argues that there is justification for the actions taken by the government calling for his removal from the United States.

In an already tense political climate regarding immigration, the detainment of “21Savage” has further fanned the flame. While the arguing rages on, it is still uncertain when a decision will be made regarding his deportation from the country.

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

The Dancing Plague of 1518

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

Cass High’s Artists Display Their Work at the Booth Western Art Museum

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

Pig Out this Chinese New Year

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

Are You a “Sucker” for Jonas Brothers?

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

DIY Scrunchies in Five Tubular Steps!

• Arts & Entertainment

Dallas Alexander Continues to Conquer

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

Why So Cynical?

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

The Truth About Lying

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

Super Bowl 53 Making History…

• The Detainment of “21Savage”

Arts & Entertainment

Beta Places at State Convention

The Student News Site of Cass High School
The Detainment of “21Savage”