Cyber Strides for Cass High

As of January 8th, 2019, Cass High School launched a Cyber Security class created by R. “Montana” Williams, a retired lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force. Williams fabricated a company known as CyberTec Academy which oversees the program offered here at Cass. The class is taught remotely by Mike Foster, who lives in Nevada. Matt Thompson is the teacher on sight and is earning his certification alongside his students in the classroom. The supervisors, along with the children are very thankful for this chance that could change their career lives. Cyber Security student, Phillip Maddox, states, “It’s an amazing opportunity and an amazing concept. It has the potential to give so many students that are willing to work hard an amazing chance at life. It’s fun and a lot of work, but our instructors work hard to make sure we learn everything in time.”

The students can agree that this could be potentially life-changing if they give it the chance. “The chance to be in this program is amazing and can change the lives of many around us,” stated by Cyber Security student, Gage Deskin. Not only is this a life-changing opportunity, but an incredibly rare chance as only 25 out of 1,560 students obtain this class. This class was offered to 25 students who will graduate with certifications in CompTIA A+, Network +, and Security +. “No other high school program in Georgia offers all 3 credentials…. We wanted our students and families to know that this is not a typical high school class,” according to Bartow County School System Superintendent Dr. Phillip Page. As these select students graduate in 2020, they will have a cybersecurity job, making upwards $35,000 a year. As the cybersecurity professions expand, there are far more jobs than there are qualified workers. Therefore, the true meaning of this class is far beyond “just a high school class.” This program is one of the highest ranked career fields in the United States.

The Cyber Security Program at Cass High School has made enormous strides for the community surrounding Bartow county. There will be more opportunities for jobs, as well as an amazing experience for the juniors of Cass High school.