The Trumpet

• October 15Congratulations to Rett Moore and Cassy Simmons, 2018 Homecoming King and Queen

• September 17Congratulations, Ms. Stefanie Rolen, Cass High's Teacher of the Year!

Filed under News, Opinion

Affirmative Acting Up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Affirmative Acting Up

Since a young age, most readers are at least somewhat familiar with affirmative action – the standards put in place by colleges and organizations to favor those discriminated against in prior years. Education facilities have utilized statistics in the past to boost their race admission rates, and Harvard University is no exception. However, a trial in Boston began against the college on October 15, 2018, proclaiming discrimination against Asian-American applicants. New York Times writes, “The plaintiffs say that the university holds Asian-Americans to a higher standard than applicants of other races and resorts to racial balancing to shape its incoming classes, in violation of civil rights law.” Harvard refutes those claims, denying any manipulation of racial quotas to attain their diverse populace.

Although the case in question is aimed specifically towards Harvard and its admission policies, the trial is being seen as a major development, specifically in the possible abolishment of affirmative action. However, Time states, “Surveys show that a majority of Asian-Americans support affirmative action policies, though support among Chinese-Americans decreased to 38% this year, according to a survey by APIAVote and AAPI Data.” Furthermore, in an interview with Julie Park, an associate professor at the University of Maryland, she says, “I think if this case or another case leads to a nationwide ban on race-conscious admissions, everyone is going to lose out, including Asian-Americans.”

However, others are not quite so certain. Some, such as Chinese-Americans, “[have] longstanding fears of being reduced to crude stereotypes. It has sowed ambivalence and division among Asian ethnic groups,” according to New York Times.

No matter the results of the case, the longstanding effects of the final decision will not be set in stone for years to come – even then, there’s not necessarily a linear destination for the future of affirmative action. Still, the events of the lawsuit are a major step in the politics and justifications involved in such legislation. Only time will tell the definite ramifications in “big picture” terms and in the future of Asian-Americans attempting to enroll in Harvard University.

• Affirmative Acting Up

Feature

Events Coming Up This Spring!

• Affirmative Acting Up

News

Cheat, Bribe, Lie: The College Admissions Scandal

• Affirmative Acting Up

News

Daylight Saving the Night

• Affirmative Acting Up

Arts & Entertainment

Cass High’s Artists Display Their Work at the Booth Western Art Museum

• Affirmative Acting Up

Arts & Entertainment

The Detainment of “21Savage”

• Affirmative Acting Up

News

Cure for Cancer?

• Affirmative Acting Up

News

Planet Nine

• Affirmative Acting Up

Arts & Entertainment

Super Bowl 53 Making History…

• Affirmative Acting Up

News

Face the Time to Delete FaceTime

• Affirmative Acting Up

News

Insight Into the FDA Shutdown

The Student News Site of Cass High School
Affirmative Acting Up