Powderpuff Game

Powderpuff+Game

On Friday, March 9, 2018, the highly-anticipated and fierce football battle between the juniors and seniors took place. The female junior football team was victorious, while the senior male cheerleaders cheered their path to victory. Cass High hosts their popular Powderpuff football game once a year, just as the weather is starting to warm up. What makes this football game unique is the fact that society’s usual gender roles are switched. The male upperclassmen compose a cheer routine, while the females construct a football team. This taboo twist on the students is fun to either watch or participate in! 

About six minutes into the first quarter, senior Hillary McCarver fumbled the ball, after her attempt at a conversion. The rest of the quarter was uneventful until the clock ran out which caused students to become excited about the halftime show.  

While technical malfunctions were being addressed, the senior boys treated the crowd to an acapella version of Amazing Grace before they cranked out a halftime show with a compilation of songs by Soulja Boy, Macklemore, Sir-Mix-a-Lot, and more! Juniors tore up the field using music from Kanye West, High School Musical, and Drake. In the end, students showed their preference for the seniors by celebrating the loudest. 

The last quarter of gameplay was quite rough and with two minutes left on the clock, the score was still 6-0. At the last two seconds of the quarter, junior Summer Fairchild scored their last touchdown, leaving the score 12-0 with the juniors being the final victors. 

One of the female athletes, Zoë Bryson, stated, “Powderpuff was a fun way to approach the end of the school year. It also helped me get to know and bond with classmates that I wasn’t already close with. I look forward to playing again next year.”  

A male cheerleader, Santiago Alvarez, says “Powderpuff was honestly a life-changing experience because I was able to do something out of my comfort zone that I wouldn’t usually do.” Both athletes plan on competing again next year.  

When asking seniors how it felt to complete their last Powderpuff game, Emily Tracy stated, “It was definitely a little sentimental. It’s like field day in elementary school, but suddenly you’re all grown up.” 

The seniors in the 2018 Powderpuff event will not be easy to forget, and hopefully, the juniors will fulfill their legacy.