The Trumpet

• October 15Congratulations to Rett Moore and Cassy Simmons, 2018 Homecoming King and Queen

• September 17Congratulations, Ms. Stefanie Rolen, Cass High's Teacher of the Year!

History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

History of Love: Valentine’s Day

For some people, February 14th is just another day of the year. Others see this date as a perfect chance to spend money and time with their significant other. However, few people know the actual origin of this annually celebrated holiday.

Many saints of the Catholic Church were named Valentine. However, the most popular legend of Saint Valentine is the story of a martyr who stood up for what he believed in. According to history.com, Emperor Claudius II “decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families.” Therefore, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine didn’t agree with this policy, so he kept performing marriage ceremonies. Legend has it that he was eventually caught by the Romans and put to death on February 14th

Another story of Saint Valentine says that he was imprisoned by Claudius, and, according to infoplease.com, he “fell in love with the daughter of his jailer.” Before his execution on February 14, he sent his lover a letter signed “from your Valentine.”

And while the story of Valentine is certainly romantic, some historians debate if Valentine’s Day feasts were to commemorate the honorable death of Saint Valentine or not. History.com argues that Valentine’s Day was simply the “Christian church’s effort to ‘Christianize’ the pagan celebration of Lupercalia.”

In Roman mythology, Cupid is known as the son of Venus, the goddess of love and beauty. According to cbc.ca, “He was described as a young, handsome man with white wings and a golden bow.” In the 1800s, the people slowly began adding pictures of Cupid to Valentine’s Day cards across the country, due to his association with love.

In present-day society, Valentine’s Day is often celebrated with romantic couples buying each other gifts, chocolate, or stuffed animals. Often, in America, children will have a Valentine’s Day celebration in their classroom where the students exchange cards and candy. The holiday is often associated with the colors red and pink, and sometimes people give each other crafts. However, no matter what story you’ve heard, Valentine’s Day is always about a story of love and sacrifice.

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

Dallas Alexander, the Great

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

The Psychology Behind the Black Friday Craze

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

Someone Doesn’t Join the Game!

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

The Power of Pop Culture in Politics

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

NEHS and NHS Bring Terror to the Theater

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

Getting Sick off Candy? More Like Getting Sick of These Costumes

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

The Scariest of the Scary Haunted Houses in GA

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

Psychological Thrillers, Finding Logical Chillers

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

The Best and Worst Candies this Halloween

• History of Love: Valentine’s Day

Arts & Entertainment

10 Best Horror Villains

The Student News Site of Cass High School
History of Love: Valentine’s Day